THE FIRST OF THE TICINO MOUNTAIN HUTS
The first of the Ticino mountain huts
The hut was built in 1912 at the foot of the Tencia peak, on the Leventinian side of Piumogna Valley. The name “Campo Tencia” is a toponymic invention created in 1858, to indicate the highest mountains entirely in the Ticino region (3071,7 m), at the moment of the historic General Dufour Swiss Map writing. The name is composed by the toponyms Campo Alp and Tencia Alp, which are property of Prato’s Patriziato and are situated in the high Lavizzara valley on the Maggese valley side.
On August 11, 1912 the opening ceremony took place.
In 1932 Mr. Patocchi discloses the expansion projects and during the summer of 1933 the new east section came to life.
After 40 years the hut sees other reinforcement and improvement works, while on August 22nd, 1975 a serious fire destroys the result of many years of hard work.
During the following summer, the hut was reborn bigger, nicer and more functional than ever. Aesthetically, the structure had to nationally represent a pleasant innovation, and it was the case with the touch of Architect Oscar Hofmann.
The old squared shape of classical alpine huts was replaced by an innovator and graceful look, with steel load-bearing structures covered and isolated by suitable mountain materials.
The inauguration of the new shelter took place on September 25, 1977.
The modern structure, after the various changes, was further improved in 2008 with the addition of the north section and a professional kitchen.
The 100th anniversary was celebrated on August 11th, 2012.